Locations

St. Rochus´Chapel

Goethe visited the Rochusberg Hill back in 1814 for the annual St. Rochus pilgrimage.

Amsterdam in 1663: the last major outbreak of bubonic plague in the city. Bingen in 1666: the plague spread from the Netherlands via the European shipping routes or via Frankfurt, the trade-fair city. 1,300 people perished. Moved by the plight of the needy, one of Bingen’s councillors, Baron Frey von Dheren, on behalf of the municipal authorities, promised to build a chapel to honour Saint Rochus, which was consecrated on the Rochusberg Hill in 1677.

From then on, the place of worship had a truly turbulent time: in 1689, the chapel was plundered by French troops, before being expanded anew in 1698. In 1795, it went up in flames during a battle between French revolutionary forces and German soldiers, and remained a ruin. But people remembered revering St. Rochus in the past, and the chapel was rebuilt. On 16 August 1814, St. Rochus’ Day was celebrated again, with Johann Wolfgang von Goethe among the guests. In 1889, the chapel was struck by lightning just before some elaborate restoration work had been completed. The fire again destroyed everything apart from the walls.

On the foundations of the former Baroque building, a triple-nave, late-Gothic church was built with an exterior chancel. This is as we know it today. The chapel was consecrated on the eve of St. Rochus’ Festival in 1895.

Google Maps Rochuskapelle

Google Maps

Mit dem Laden der Karte akzeptieren Sie die Datenschutzerklärung von Google.
Mehr erfahren

Karte laden

RochusKapelle

Rochuskapelle
Street: Rochusberg 2
55411 Bingen am Rhein, Germany

Hildegard Gedächtniskirche

Close to the former monastery of St. Hildegard on the Rupertsberg, there is the Catholic parish church Bingerbrück, the Hildegard Memorial Church today. This church was built at the end of the 19th century and dedicated to Saint Hildegard and Saint Rupert. In the church, you can find a small reliquary casket with relics of Saint Hildegard and Saint Rupert. The windows in the transept of the church represent the life and work of Saint Hildegard.

Text: City Bingen am Rhein

Google Maps Hildegard Gedächtniskirche

Google Maps

Mit dem Laden der Karte akzeptieren Sie die Datenschutzerklärung von Google.
Mehr erfahren

Karte laden

Hildegard Gedächtniskirche

Hildegard-Gedächtniskirche
Street: Koblenzerstr. 21
55411 Bingen am Rhein

St. Martin Basilika

The Basilica of Saint Martin is built on the foundations of a Roman temple. It is in St. Martin’s Basilica that you get an insight into the great history of Bingen, when you realise that the Romans built a temple on exactly this site in the years before the birth of Christ. St. Martin’s Basilica was first officially mentioned in 793 in Lorsch Abbey’s list of donations. In 883, the Roman building was destroyed, and was rebuilt and reconsecrated in 1220. When a fire broke out on 14 August 1403, almost the whole church was utterly destroyed. Thirteen years later, a new St. Martin’s Church was built in the Gothic style. As St. Martin’s was a collegiate church, the Barbara building was turned into a parish church in 1505. Subsequently, the church experienced many changes; altars and art treasures were lost or sold. On 1 April 1930, Pope Pius XI awarded St. Martin’s the title of a papal basilica. After bombing in 1944, the vaulted roof of the main nave and part of the high altar collapsed. Today a place of Special beauty awaits its visitors once again.

Google Map – Basilika St. Martin

Google Maps

Mit dem Laden der Karte akzeptieren Sie die Datenschutzerklärung von Google.
Mehr erfahren

Karte laden

Basilika St. Martin

Basilika St. Martin
Street: Basilikastr. 6
55411 Bingen am Rhein, Germany